Web Design Tips: Do things in order
Transferring a domain name is not difficult when you follow the steps in order. Each part must be done before the next part to have it go smoothly.
Currently transferring all domain names except host name (free for life) to a new server host for the name. The files will remain on the main host but the name and routing will be elsewhere. Why? It is cheaper. The first year I transfer, it is $10 for the next year including privacy. Renewing it will cost $15 unless they have a sale.
On my current host Bluehost it would cost me $10 to renew the name and another $10 for the privacy setting. Years ago I had WSMDomains for my domain names with my information on geocities a free site. When geocities went away, I moved to hosted websites. What I do like about Bluehost is you can have several domains under the contract of one host.
1. Check your contact on your site so when an email is sent it is sent to you and not the host. Change to your email
2. Is the privacy enabled? It will need to be Paused so the receiving host can read the information.
3. Pause Privacy
4. Unlock your domain name so it can be transferred to new host
5. Now your domain name should be unlocked and privacy paused
6. Go to WSMDomains and buy domain name service. If you have not opened an account, do that now. My cart shows I bought domain forwarding, domain manager, and privacy for $10.
7. Now check your emails for a transfer request from WSMDomain AND another email for Transfer Confirmation Form READ these completely and follow them – You may have to wait for the emails.
You will have to click a link in the email to get the authorization page. You will need the EPP code from Bluehost in the next step.
8a. Go back to Bluehost and click the tab for Transfer EPP code to Authorize WSMDomain – Copy and past the code in the Web page that opened from link in email AND then notice in the process, you must approve the transfer. You may have to wait for the approval screen – Patience
8b. Go back to Bluehost – click the Transfer tab and Approve the transfer
9. Go back to Bluehost check all the tabs. Name servers are still on Bluehost and those are the ones WSM Domains will use to direct your domain name back to your host. Bluehost no longer owns the domain name.
Three Tabs Now – Name Servers Middle Tab
10 WSM Domains will show the Domain Name is in progress. Once everything completes you should get emails from both hosts.
Important: The most important part is patience and following the sequence of moving from one host to the other host.
- Make sure the your email is there
- Pause Privacy
- Start the transfer
- The EPP code is the authorization code to transfer.
- Wait for the email telling you the next steps and what to do next.
- Everything transfers in minutes but the confirmation may take a little longer.
- Your website will work without interruption
Eileen Ludwig of Web Design School brings to the world insights about computers, Web Design, Internet Technologies, Social Media Tools, WordPress, Blogging, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter. She is owner of four sites: Photography, Web Design School, Social Media School and Freelance Tourist. Each are in different stages of development and evolution.
We all gather in this place to share experiences, strengths, and school of hard knocks, On Job Training (OJT). We can use this space to explore and understand the trends and concepts both as a beginner and advanced user. Pointing others in the right direction when needed.